Thursday, March 3, 2011

Holy Shrimp! (and grits)

So we were watching Triple D (Diners, Drive-ins and Dives) on the Food Network the other night and Guy hit up a spot in Cali run by a gentleman from Tennessee and he made the most delicious looking shrimp and grits.  I realized at this moment that in all my time in the south, I dont think I have ever had this dish!  So guess what was for dinner last night!  :D

I am NOT kidding when I say this might actually be the best thing I have made in a LONG time.  (aside from the Crack-pot-pie which I will post at a later date)


This was spicy and delicious and can be made with out the shrimp or with real meat to adjust it to your diet and/or food preferences.  My dad asked me if he could substitute the grits for rice - I say WHY NOT!

Here's the recipe!

Ingredients for the grits:
3 cups of milk (i used Horizon Lactose Free 2% milk)
3 cups of heavy cream (i used fat free 1/2 & 1/2)
2 cups of polenta or Corn Grits
2-3 T of unsalted butter
2 C of shredded swiss cheese
S & P to taste

Ingredients for the shrimp:
2 T EVOO
1 med onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 lb of andouille or spicy italian sausage, chopped (i used Tofurky Italian Sausage)
1/4 cup flour
2 cups of chicken stock (used 3 no-chik'n boulion cubes dissolved in 2 1/4c water)
2-3 bay leaves
2 lbs of raw shrimp - peeled, deveined and tails on
pinch to 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper - to taste really
1/2 lemon, juiced
S & P to taste

4 green onions, sliced for garnish

Directions:

Grits:
3qt pot - over med heat.  Add the milk and cream and slowly wisk in the corn grits.  When they start to bubble, turn the heat down to med-low and simmer for 10-15 min stirring frequently with a wooden spoon.  Once smooth and thick remove from heat and add in the cheese, butter, s & p.  If its too thick - thin it out with some milk.

Shrimp:
In a deep skillet over med heat saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil till its soft but not brown.  Add the sausage and cook till there is plenty of fat in the pan and the sausage is brown.  (VEGETARIAN NOTE:  If you make this with the Tofurky Italian Sausage - slice them into coins and brown them with the onions and garlic.  Then add like 4 T of butter to the pan to simulate the fat from the real sausage.) Sprinkle with flour to create the roux. Slowly pour in your stock or veggie chik'n stock and stir to avoid lumps.  Toss in the bay leaves and once its comes up to a simmer toss in the shrimp.  Cook till ALL of the shrimp are pink and tender and the gravy is smooth.  Add the cayenne, the lemon juice and the S & P.

Put the grits in a large bowl, cover it generously with the shrimp gravy deliciousness.  Sprinkle the scallions over the top and EAT IT!!!  Stir it all together or be selective about your bites... either way TRUST ME this is FANTASTIC!!!  I also thought about diced tomatoes in this -- might be really yummy.  Perhaps I will try that next time.

I have but one request from you -- if you make this PLEASE tell me how it turned out.  I wanna hear if it worked - if you think something would taste better or if you hated it (which I doubt).  MAKE THIS DISH!!!!

Thanks for reading and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment