Friday, March 4, 2011

Why am I craving popcorn?

So all the trees around my office building are flowering with gorgeous white buds and when I see them all I can think about is popcorn!  The problem with that is, and not to get TOO political, is that corn and I are at an impasse.  I have watched too many documentaries on corn in all our foods and corn as a bi-product in practically everything we use... blah blah blah.  This has put me off corn.  P.S. - ever wonder why your dogs feet smell like Frito's when they lick them?  Corn in the dog food --  I changed their food after I found that one out. 

Anyway - you can see why i might be slightly disturbed by the idea of craving the one product I am having a political stare down with.  Never the less all the white flowering trees are causing me to briefly reconsider our relationship.

SIDE NOTE:  I miss the popcorn balls my Aunt used to make at Christmas.  Different colors all wrapped in plastic wrap and waiting for all the kids to gobble up at the annual Christmas gathering.  Oooh and holly sprigs...  This blog will be ridiculous during the holidays so be prepared.

I love the smell of popcorn right out of the microwave or as its popping in the poppers at the movies or at my parents house.  Something about fluffy nuggets covered salt and butter puts an extra sparkle in my eye.  Then there is the introduction of the sweet factor - caramel or candy... oh the possibilities.  I need a minute to daydream about it....

.............. mmmmm ..................

Ok im done.

I have also noticed that I am not the only one on the popcorn trip!  Lots of these little gourmet popcorn shops have opened up around the metroplex.  I mean so many flavors!  One in fact carries Banana popcorn.  My coworker got me some after realizing that I, and my dad, have a slight obsession with banana flavored anything.  It was amazing.  They have every flavor you can think of.   I saw a Groupon or something for this one a while back and the variety they have is mind blowing! Uptown Popcorn
I mean Loaded Baked Potato Popcorn? Actually that could be pretty freakin' awesome.


I will admit that I am RARELY a traditionalist but after thinking about what these would taste like I realized that when it comes to popcorn I prefer a crap-ton of butter or caramel and that's it.

Well I suppose there is only one thing to do about this.  I am going to have to make something popcorn related this weekend.  Ooooh -- I have a really good recipe for spicy candied pecans/walnuts maybe I can make some narcotic related version of cracker jacks.  Ohhhh yes - with fresh popcorn from the old-timey popper at my parents house...  Homemade salted caramel drizzled all over it.  My mouth is watering. This is happening.

DAMN YOU TREES!!!!   Ok - look for pictures and a recipe after the weekend.  (is it sad that i am giddy now?)

No comments:

Post a Comment