Monday, March 7, 2011

Laziness Prevails... And Vegan Burritos happen instead.

Ok so I REALLY didnt want to go to the store this weekend after running all my errands so the popcorn didnt happen.  HOWEVER.  Vegan Burritos did!  Time for some back story!

Jeremy and I -- that's him in the picture -- are trying to do high-antioxident, nutrient rich meals at least once a week. 


He works for WHOLE FOODS in the "Whole Body" department so he is privy to lots of diets and suppliments and all that jazz.  Two of the diets that they promote is the Engine2 diet and the Andi Diet.  The Engine 2 is vegan and the Andi diet is not but when I make anything that calls for chicken I use the Delight Brand Soy Nuggets or Patties.  Anyway -- we have been trying some of the recipes and HANDS DOWN my favorite so far is the Jane's Jammin' Burritos from the Engine 2 diet recipe book.  And I follow it to the T.  Now - be mind full that this is not a "pretty" meal.  Its brown and brown with some flecks of color but my homemade salsa (1st place winner in a salsa contest by the way!) and the guacamole make you want to rub it on your face.

NOW FOR THE RECIPE!
  • 1 large onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 zucchini, chopped
  • 2 yellow squash, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 3 cups shredded napa cabbage
  • 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cans fat-free vegetarian refried beans
  • 1 cup cooked brown rice (i like brown rice - i use a little more than 1 cup)
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Soy Cheese
  • 6 large Ezekiel sprouted-grain wraps (found in the freezer section at WF with other sprouted breads - the Ezekiel cinnamon raisin english muffins are SUPER good!)
  • Salsa (2 GOOD vine ripened tomatoes, a handfull of cilantro, 1/2 onion, 1 tsp of minced garlic, 4 pickles jalapenos, lots of lime juice, salt, pepper and 1/4 tsp of cumin.  chop the crap out of all of it and throw it in a bowl and chill for 24 hours.)
  • Guacamole
Preheat oven to 350º


Sauté the onion and garlic in a large sprayed skillet on high heat for 3 minutes.
Add the zucchini, yellow squash, red pepper, and cabbage to the skillet. Cook 4–5 minutes, until the vegetables are al dente (soft but firm) and the cabbage is wilting.
Add the black beans, refried beans, and rice to the skillet. Stir the ingredients together on low heat until the mixture is thick and mortar-like. Season with the cumin and cayenne.
Slap a large spoonful of veggie mortar onto the center of the Ezekiel wrap and spread it from top to bottom along the center line. Sprinkle with shredded soy cheese.
Fold the sides over using a bit of the veggie mortar as adhesive for the top flap.
Rest the burritos next to each other and place them seam side down on a sprayed baking sheet.
Bake for 20 minutes or until the wraps are crisp.
Serve with salsa and guacamole... And rub on face.



Jeremy ate 2 of these... and some beef jerky and some candied pecans and some walnuts and a spoonful of almond butter with agave nectar on it....  he has a problem, I think.  I ate one and a half and thought i might explode.

This recipe says it makes enough for 6 burritos.  LIES!  It makes enough for like 8-10.  So we cut this recipe in half for just the two of us and we get 6 out of it.  It keeps really well though so if you are content to eat this for a few days it might be a good one for you.

So I PROMISE I'll make the popcorn.  Maybe I'll do that tonight since we plan on ordering chinese food.  Blame my neighbor - he swears he found a good one.  I am seriously doubtful since I am from NJ and I KNOW what good chinese food is... and trust me when I say the Carrollton area has some BANGIN' Vietnamese food but falls WAY short on Chinese.  I'll let you know how it is...

Anyway - Try the burritos ASHLEY!!!  Let me know how they turn out!

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment