Monday, March 14, 2011

Tuna, Kale and Popcorn tales...

Ok so I made the popcorn... FINALLY!  And I ate all of it.  No kidding - Jeremy and I made the mistake of sitting down with the bag in front of the television and watched the food network.   HUGE mistake.  We ate the entire thing.  So -- looks like I'll make some more so that I can take a picture and post it.  :)

In the meantime!  LETS TALK KALE!!!

Now I have never been a huge fan of dark greens.  However, as I get older and start cooking them myself I realize how much I really DO like them!  I have mentioned this before - Jeremy and I are trying to do a nutrient rich diet and that includes a LOT of greens.  I have a recipe for Kale that I made all the time. I love it so much that I even eat the left overs cold. 

Braised Kale

2 large bunches of Kale, stems off and ripped into bit sized pieces
1/2 cup of No-Chik'n stock
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2-1 T of red pepper flakes
Red wine vinegar

Rinse your kale and put it in a hug pot over med-hi heat.  Pour the stock over it and flip the kale around until it starts to shrink up and get yummy.  Then dump in the garlic and red pepper.  Braise this over med-high heat till its wilted but still has a bite to it.  Take it off the heat and add the vinegar.  I probably use a little less than 1/4c when I make it -- but I love the flavor so you can use as much as you like.  I dont put salt or pepper on this but you can if you want. 

I served this Kale up with a seared big eye tuna steak.  I coated the steaks in EVOO coated both sides with a mixture of lemon zest, dried thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Seared over med-hi heat for 2 min on each side and drizzle with a soy, garlic, lemon, ginger sauce.  SUPER GOOD!!



This was an AMAZING meal that was nutrient rich, full of flavor and VERY little fat!  Not to mention Jeremy didnt speak while he was eating.  All I heard were grumbles and moans and I got a big fat kiss at the end of it all.  So I guess I did a good job!  YAY ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment